Monday, June 9, 2014

Day # 19 June 19

Day # 19 June 9 Carrion de los Condes to Ledigos (23.5 k)

Last night we slept in a monastery run by nuns. Aside from the religious aspect I have to say the place was fabulous. Everything was spotless ; we each had or own bed... not a bunk bed, but a real bed. If you haven't ever slept in a community style dormitory it really has to be experienced to be appreciated. It did however inspire the following limerick!

 

Last night I woke with a start

The sound it near' stopped my heart

As I listened some more

I heard someone snore

And I knew what I heard was a fart

 

While it is possible to sometimes be discreet with our own bodily functions or malfunctions as the case may be we have no control over others so that the nocturnal sounds of a dormitory are an experience all of their own. I must admit ecclesiastical  endeavors were far from my mind although I seem to recall muttering a little payer; "Jesus, what a smell". Then again I might have been dreaming!

Today's walk was flat with only one hill  The weather was OK. Sun and the odd cool breeze made it fairly pleasant. We did make the mistake of deciding to have breakfast at the first town... there was no town so we were glad to see the "rip off" artist selling crappy sandwitchs and soft drinks at exhorbitant prices... hunger will do that

We reached our albergue around two which left enough time to shower and relax for the rest of the day The pilgrims dinner was pretty good tonight. Hoping to get on early start tomorrow.... maybe 7 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment