Saturday, June 7, 2014

Day # 17 June 7 Castrojeriz to Frómista (25.2 k)

Day # 17 June 7 Castrojeriz to Frómista ( 25.2 k )

Before I get to today's adventure our stay in Castrojeriz in the Albergue Utreia deserves special mention. The building was second to none (relative to all the others we have experienced). The guy who was running it must be the greatest control freak I have ever met. I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode about the Soup Nazi. This guy was the coffee Nazi... Checked when we went to bed, when we got up & we HAD to listen to his after dinner story... in Spanish. He used to be a teacher but he still is !

Back to today:

Today we planned to complete stage 15 and stay at Frómista, a walk of about 25.2K. We got an early start with a steep hill to start which prompted the following limerick.

 

The hills are somewhat sublime

As we walk our fingers entwine

We stop for the view

And I say to you

Oh f *** it's another big climb

And this was a big climb; it probably took the best part of l hour. Surprise , surprise there was a rest area at the top. This was the only serious climb today and I don't think the photos capture the incline but the view from the top was breathtaking

Coming into Boadilla del Camino we saw something that once again inspired a limerick

I met a wee Spanish lass

She had a beautiful ass

But let me explain

Lest you sin again

This little black burro ate grass

I think we approached today's walk with a little more common sense. We stopped more often & took food and water when the opportunity presented itself  We even had an "English" breakfast at Itero de la Vega en route.

Despite some foot tenderness Frances made great time and we are now sitting enjoying a pre dinner beer & just relaxing The albergue we are at is wonderful... the owners are very nice and everything is new. I'm looking forward to dinner.

 

 


1 comment:

  1. Taidg: hi hi hi hi hey
    Mika: I like your poems
    Sue: Love the blog yet again! I have to say you do look very relaxed when you stop.

    ReplyDelete